Monday, January 31, 2011

Blizzard and other things



Hahaha, this amuses me. So apparently Chicago is supposed to get a foot to two feet of snow from Tuesday evening into Wednesday. I went to Trader Joes this morning, not because of the blizzard necessarily, but because I had no food in the house, and it was madness.

Anyways, we found out on Friday that our little practice leader is leaving to start up a practice at another firm. The three of us had no idea. The partner believes there is no future for management consulting at our current firm and he wants to do strategy elsewhere. We had a conference call Friday afternoon and were pretty much talking about our plans for our job searches. The other two are really motivated and are looking now, so as to not have a lapse in employment.

We were certain that this meant we'd get laid off on Friday or at least today, but no word yet. My coach thinks they can't because they've told Wall Street that they are going to focus on the area that my little practice is focusing on. So they have to have some people doing that. If I do go to another consulting firm, I would like for it not be a public firm. The second requirement will be that they do not do healthcare IT. Healthcare IT has a tendency to cannibalize everything else.

In terms of job searches, I have looked at the website of a firm or two, but that's about it. I just can't get myself to do it. Oh yeah, probably because I'm just not sure where I want to go next. My coach is looking solely at consulting firms and she said that if she had an opportunity to bring us with her, she will do so. Maybe that should be my job search strategy... have her do all the leg work and just follow her?

No but seriously, I need to do some research and talk to people. This whole not having to work at all but receiving a full salary but being home all day rocks, don't get me wrong. But it is also hard to get yourself motivated. Every day is kinda the same thing and its easy to fall into just doing nothing. I went out last Friday night with a friend to a show and dinner afterwards and it was especially noteworthy that I put on makeup and real pants with a waistband (haha).

So maybe I should motivate this week. But oh, we're getting a snowmageddon! How can I motivate during a blizzard? Seriously, right? Maybe I shall motivate to get motivated next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment