Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resolutions and whatnot



I don't think that I've ever really said out loud that certain things were my New Years resolutions. I mean I might have thought about things that I want to do or accomplish, but they could happen at any time of the year. In actuality my New Year in terms of resolutions probably happened to me last October. So the coming around of 1/1/2011 is just sort of a continuation of that.

While I was home one of the things my mom said (and this was not the first time) was that someone who had been married before would be ok. That it may be hard for me at my age to find someone who had never been married before. The funny thing is that as horrible as it may sound in an American context, she hasn't been as naggy as she could be as a Korean mother.

I know from cousins and friends, that Korean mothers can be much much worse, given a single 34 year old Korean daughter. My aunt has actually told her that she is not nagging me enough about finding someone and getting married. The plus side to all of this is that they are going to be so glad when I do find someone that their standard for the guy is probably a lot less than when I was in my 20s. This sounds kind of bad yes, but its a positive for me! It means I don't have to bring home a super successful or educated guy... a guy that is just good on paper. I can bring someone home where the more important things matter.

The thing my mom doesn't realize is that I'm not really against someone who has been married before. I've already been with someone who was divorced. To me, it's not a deal breaker. It's more important to me to find someone I click with. I do recognize that my ex screwed me over in terms of the fact that we had this instant electric soulmate type connection, being together 24/7 pretty much after 5 days. I think I'm still trying to recognize that not all relationships start like that.

So there is my resolution of sorts for this year. Not so much to meet someone, but to just try. I think the last date I had was March or April of 2008. I was not interested in dating at all for a long time, with the last year or so consisting of just not wanting to make the effort.

Make an effort and not be too picky. Doesn't sound so hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment