Monday, November 15, 2010

A question of fate

I'm still waiting to hear about my interviews. The one in Chicago didn't go so great, but I think the one in Atlanta went pretty well. We'll wait to see what happens, but whatever happens I do believe that it is what was meant to happen.

When I once asked a friend about fate, he responded that he doesn't believe in fate. He believes in luck and effort. No fate. But I'm a pretty big believer in fate. But I wonder if this strong belief in fate prevents me from taking more action, instead blindly just believing that things will turn out how they're supposed to.

While I do believe in fate, I do also believe that the actions and choices you make today can alter your future fate. I think sometimes I need to remember this, and not just blindly believe that things will turn out how they're supposed to. Kinda like making decisions and performing actions that will help realize the future that I want? There's some balance there that I haven't quite figured out.

But when I look back to the larger events and decision points in my life, when things didn't turn out the way I might have wanted at the time, I can see now why my life took that turn. And often that turn was for the better. It just took me a while to see why. So whatever happens with these two job interviews, I do kind of believe that it will take me to where I'm supposed to be.

Speaking of fate, on a much grander level, I caught an incredible two hour show on the History Channel this weekend on the story of the 16 (of 45) Uruguayan survivors of the crash in the Andes. I had heard about this story before, but this was a much more personal view into the amazing story.



It was incredible to see actual photos taken by the survivors during their 72 day ordeal. Their website shows a lot of the incredible photos.

Seeing their story definitely makes you wonder what you would or could have done. Those who have previously heard of this story probably remember the part where the survivors ended up having to eat their fellow passengers who had already died. After 10 days of starvation, I'm guessing that most of us would have made the same incredibly difficult choice to survive.

The show also highlighted some of the men who clearly stepped up into leadership positions. I think leadership of this sort is intrinsic. It's not learned. You either have it or you don't. But I also think its ok if you don't have it. Everyone is who they are, and each would have their roles in a situation like this. The interesting thing about the leader in this story, Fernando Parrado, is that I think he became the leader because his will to live was the greatest.

Now if only we could clearly understand exactly who we are... who we are at our deepest core, without facing some incredible life or death type tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment