Thursday, November 18, 2010

Happiness



A beautiful and thought provoking postcard from one of my absolutely favorite sites, PostSecret. What does it really mean to be happy? I've had some recent conversations with friends around this topic recently. It seems like an inexpicably simple question with an inexpicably difficult and complicated answer.

My original thought around this question was that even being able to consider our own happiness is a luxury of the rich. Many people throughout history, as well as many living today, struggle so hard every single day just to survive. I don't think they have the time to even consider whether they are happy.

I think you hear so much in our society about people striving, or wanting to be happy. Like the postsecret card says above, maybe it's not something you strive towards. Maybe its something you just actively decide that you are... accepting who you are, where you are in life? Maybe a more Buddhist or Taoist view of happiness?

In job update news, the Chicago firm thinks that I may be a better fit for another group within their provider space. I'm not completely disappointed to not get an offer from the group that I interviewed with because I found the managing director kind of intimidating and potentially stressful to work for.

I'm surprised though that they even recommended me for this other practice, because I didn't think the interview went that great. This other practice is a much more analytical area though, doing pricing and reimbursement strategy type work. I'm not quite sure if I want to do a ton of analytics and financial models anymore but I guess I'll follow through with the phone interviews because you never know.

The firm with the Atlanta office is looking at all the people they interviewed over the last two weeks and are looking at who they want to add to their healthcare group on a national level. They say that they hope to make final decisions early next week. It'd be great to know before Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment