Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Flying

I flew back from Chapel Hill yesterday. And waking up in Chicago this morning... I woke up to snow flurries! First I've seen this winter. I'm here just for today and am flying back out tomorrow morning to New Mexico for 4 days to see a friend. It's the first time I've ever been in the Southwest part of this country, so I'm looking forward to it.

Anyways, so I heard back from the Atlanta firm on Monday that while it was a very hard decision, (part of why it took so long) that I didn't get the job. While I was definitely kinda disappointed, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be. Maybe because the thought of moving to Atlanta was pretty overwhelming and something I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to do. So the job search continues. We'll see what happens and where I end up. A big part of me thinks that the reason I didn't get the job in Atlanta is because I'm supposed to stay in Chicago for some reason. There's that big fate part of me again!

Now given I just flew back and am getting back on a plane tomorrow, just a couple thoughts around flying that I need to get out. I'm not flying every week for work right now, but that is my typical schedule and I flew over 50,000 miles in both 2007 and 2008. I've been on a lot of flights. You should see how fast I can get through security, often with two laptops. For all the talk about TSA security lately, I haven't been frisked recently or sent through the x-ray thing yet. Anyways, what irritates me about flying.

First of all, I can't stand people who are assholes about the overhead compartment. I mean the people who come on and just put a coat up there or some small bag? Come on! There are tons of people trying to get roll aboard bags up there! I myself am not shy about moving things around, though typically I am amongst the first people to board so its not an issue for me. But it still irritates me to sit there and see all these people come on and be assholes about it.

Then there are the assholes who don't seem to understand that there is a method or order to how to get off a plane. People who try to rush ahead without letting people in the row ahead of them get off, really really irritate me. Hmmm maybe I just can't stand assholes.

Finally, this whole "turn off all electronic devices during take off and landing". Do you really think that every single person on a flight is completely turning off their cell phone? Hell, no! And really, "they" are going to put the "safety" of the plane/flight on the guarantee that every person is turning off their phone? No way. If a phone being turned on is really going to somehow mess with the flight controls, there is no f'in way they would let us all on the plane with them. They'd confiscate them at the airplane door. So I'm not sure why they make us turn them off, but I call bullshit. BULLSHIT!

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, most airliners were designed in an era when people checked their bags and only carried a few items on. Roller boards (and service cutbacks, and security nightmares) changed how people packed, and there's no way to re-allocate the available storage volume of the existing planes. So we're stuck with half-empty luggage compartments below, and nowhere near enough space for everyone up top. Is a crappy situation all around.

    My take on electronics: when my sister and I were kids, we would bring our cassette walkmen (pretty much the only consumer electronics available in that blighted era) on my dad's Cessna. Big batteries pushing DC motors to move magnetic tapes, all only a few feet from the delicate instruments. Never once caused the slightest glitch. I second the bullshit call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one calling bullshit! :)

    ReplyDelete