Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In Chapel Hill for a week!

I flew into Chapel Hill last night and am here for another week. I figured I'd be here for my mom's birthday on Thursday, plus in the small chance that my basketball team was playing in the Final Four this weekend (though unfortunately that is not the case). Today happens to be my sister's birthday, her 28th.. which is just insane to me. Its insane that she is nearing 30.... and scary that it means that I am 6 years older than her.

Insanely cute pics from Jason Lee of his daughters:





Anyways, for the most part I don't really recognize or realize how old I am. It is interesting though how I notice time passing more when I come home and see my parents. I probably see my parents about 4-5 times a year and on some trips home, it just strikes me how much older they are getting. I guess I still think of them somehow in their 50s, when in fact they are 66 and 67. My mom is retiring this July, but she said that my dad is going to work until I get married. Sigh... the guilt.

Anyways, last Saturday night I went out with some girlfriends and we ended up at this bar. It was amusing because 3 of the girls (who are white) were talking about how they have a thing for asian men. And the other 3 of us are asian or half asian. I told the girls that they can have the asian guys or at least my allotment, since I have never dated an asian man beyond going out on a couple of first dates.

Mmmm is it strange that I don't date within my own race? It's not necessarily that I'm against it... its just that I tend to be attracted to caucasian men and they are the ones who have approached me in my past. Honestly this sentiment is reciprocal though because asian guys just tend not to be attracted to me. So while I'm ok with this, its important to me that I find someone who already has or develops a strong appreciation for my Korean culture. Meaning he has to be able to eat a lot of Korean food... especially the spicy stuff.

Anyways, I was sharing my online dating woes with these girls and they told me that I need to now be the one being more proactive and reaching out to people I find intriguing. Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment